Friday 24 April 2009

Revision Tips #3: Haiku Time


Haikus are an excellent revision tip for students. Their structure means it is easy to remember when you have missed a word and the rythmical nature means students pick them up quickly.

The Haiku structure is 5 syllables - 7 syllables - 5 syllables.

For example, here is my 'out of office haiku' for when I am on holiday:

Emails. Sit in my inbox (5)
unanswered. While I (7)
enjoy Easter eggs. (5)

Ask students to create these as a starter, plenary or for revision. Here are some of the best examples I have heard:


Sex Education
Condoms: check date, tear,
no nails, check right way around
roll down carefully

Sociology - theorists
functionalists are
parsons, murdock, charles murray,
think family good.
Business studies - ratio formulaes
working capital
gross profit, net profit and
solvency rating

Let your students' creativity run wild....